Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Feminism and Me and How You Are Screwing It Up



Yes, in case you were wondering, I am a Feminist.  Even more shocking, I actually knew what that word meant before checking Wikipedia.  My mother taught me at an early age, and my dad backed her up, that we are currently living in a man's world.  We naturally assume in America that the next president is going to be a middle aged man.  We go to the movies and nine times out of ten the protagonist will be a man.  There will possibly be a woman or two in that movie, and one or both will be the romantic love interest of that man.  Women are still receiving less money for doing the same amount of work as a man.  Women are frequently objectified in the media in ridiculous and demeaning ways that men are not.  If men are similarly objectified as women are, then it becomes humorous. Most women I know have an instinctual fear or cautious nature when they are walking alone at night.  I believe most men have that same cautious instinct, but I also believe that men aren't primarily concerned with being molested or raped on their walk home.

This treatment does not seem equal to me.  Feminism is the idea that everyone is treated equally, regardless of gender. It baffles me that this seemingly obvious definition is still receiving such negative connotations after all these years.

Naturally we fear what we don't know.  Over the years I've heard scared groups of people or individual persons label feminists as something less than: Butch Lesbians, Dykes, Feminazis, the list goes on and on.  I've become used to this. Anyone desperate enough to resort to name calling is just a confirmation that we are doing something right.  However, those fears and slurs have usually been voiced by a group of guys.  What's truly frightening is now I'm hearing these words come from the mouths of GIRLS.

Teenage girls and young women in their twenties are denouncing feminism and declaring that they don't need it because they "are not a victim".  OK, I get it. These children believe they don't need feminism because to them, the problem is solved. To some extent, it is slightly true.  I do not need a man to rent or own property.  I can vote. I can wear pants. That's all great, but don't you want more? Wouldn't it be nice to have your commercials, TV shows, plays, magazines, books, billboards, radio, press, retail stores, and movies NOT dictating how you should look and how you have no value if you aren't physically appealing to the opposite sex? Wouldn't it be wonderful to have the freedom to have a say in your body and have your own personal choice in contraception without your employers involved?  The idea that feminists are crying out for justice because they are just whiny and haven't taken control of their lives is horrifying to me.  If we rest on our laurels and declare that we are done because have come so far, we will slip right back to where we are.  We are already starting to and I for one, refuse to slide back.

It is my personal belief that we do not have to punish or lower another group down to raise us up. That to me is not true equality.  There are injustices that men suffer as well: they must hide emotions that are not related to anger or dominance, they too have clothing restrictions and impossible body standards, they can't have eating disorders or be considered rape victims if their attacker is a woman, etc. Feminism supports male equality too. I will not change the name or try to excuse myself when I say I'm a Feminist.  It's not morphing into a different goal or entity.  I stand by it and I am proud of it.  I have no problems explaining what it means and if you have a person in your life that listens to misinformed pop stars trying to explain feminism, steer them my way.  I will be happy to speak.  Because I have a right to speak today, due to all the incredibly hard work that past Feminists have done for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment